Mainland dating dunedin
Mainland dating dunedin - colton haynes and holland roden dating
Coulls, Somerville Wilkie – later part of the Whitcoulls group – had its origins in Dunedin in the 19th century.
Dunedin and the region industrialised and consolidated and the Main South Line connected the city with Christchurch in 1878 and Invercargill in 1879. The University of Otago, the oldest university in New Zealand, in 1869. Between 18, Dunedin was home to cable trams, being both one of the first and last such systems in the world. Institutions such as the Toitū Otago Settlers Museum and the Hocken Collections – the first of their kind in New Zealand – were founded. Nerli culminated in the career of Frances Hodgkins.Early in the 1880s the inauguration of the frozen meat industry, with the first shipment leaving from Port Chalmers in 1882, saw the beginning of a later great national industry. More notable buildings such as the Railway Station and Olveston were erected. By 1900, Dunedin was no longer the country's biggest city.After ten years of gold rushes the economy slowed but Julius Vogel's immigration and development scheme brought thousands more especially to Dunedin and Otago before recession set in again in the 1880s. The other visual arts also flourished under the leadership of W. Influence and activity moved north to the other centres ("the drift north"), a trend which continued for much of the following century.After the Second World War prosperity and population growth revived, although Dunedin trailed as the fourth 'main centre'.A generation reacting against Victorianism started demolishing its buildings and many were lost, notably William Mason's Stock exchange in 1969.In 1844, the Deborah, captained by Thomas Wing and carrying (among others) his wife Lucy and a representative of the New Zealand Company, Frederick Tuckett, sailed south to determine the location of a planned Free Church settlement.
(Tuckett turned down the site which would become Christchurch, as he felt the ground around the Avon river was swampy.) The Lay Association of the Free Church of Scotland, through a company called the Otago Association, founded Dunedin at the head of Otago Harbour in 1848 as the principal town of its special settlement.
They were probably migrations like those of the European which incidentally resulted in bloodshed.
Lieutenant James Cook stood off what is now the coast of Dunedin between 25 February 1770 and 5 March 1770, naming Cape Saunders (on the Otago Peninsula) and Saddle Hill.
While Tauranga, Napier-Hastings and Hamilton have eclipsed the city in size of population since the 1980s to make it only the seventh-largest urban area in New Zealand, Dunedin is still considered one of the four main cities of New Zealand for historic, cultural and geographic reasons.
Dunedin was the largest New Zealand city by territorial land area until superseded by Auckland on the creation of the Auckland Council in November 2010.
Captain William Cargill, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, served as the secular leader of the new colony.